23 August 2019
Bhubaneswar: In a bid to build up the pilgrim city of Puri into a World Heritage City, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today announced Rs 500 crore worth package for various projects. The package prioritizes infrastructure development, multi-lane road, bridge, parking lot, restoration of Musa river, rehabilitation of the affected persons evacuated from the Security Zone and the restoration of religious mutts and tanks.
This is in addition to the Rs 265 crore package announced earlier by the Chief Minister for the further development of the pilgrim city.
Presiding over a high level meeting at the Lok Seva Bhavan here today, the Chief Minister said that it is most important to build up Puri as a World Heritage City. Under the current scenario, the security of Shree Mandir (Lord Jagannath Temple) is also most warranted.
Stressing that no compromise must be done so far the security issue of Shree Mandir is concerned, the Chief Minister appealed the denizens of Puri city to cooperate with the State Government in its present effort considering it as the ‘seva’ (service) to ‘Mahaprabhu’ (Lord Jagannath).
The meeting resolved as follows:
1) Trumpet Bridge (Shri Setu) – Modern Trumpet Bridge has been proposed to connect Puri Bypass-based Malatipatpur with Jagannath Ballav Mutt, estimated at Rs 190 crore.
2) Jagannath Ballav Mutt Development - Multi-layer parking space at Jagannath Ballav Mutt and a meditation centre with a capacity of accommodating 10,000 devotees. Various shops and marketing facilities will also be built there. Rs 180 crore has been the estimated cost for this project.
3) Development of Musa River – Musa River to be restored and connected with Mangala River. Its surroundings to be improved as well as refurbished and developed into River Front Tourism. Rs 85 crore has been the estimated cost for this project.
4) Atharanala – This historic spot to be beautified and illuminated with lights. Cooperation of ASI will be sought for this purpose. Rs 5 crore has been the estimated cost for this project.
5) Lake – Rs 35 crore has been the estimated cost for project of developing a lake over 28 acres of land.
6) Security Zone & Restoration of Mutts – There has been a special bond between the Mutts and Shree Jagannath’s religious rituals. Hence, the Mutts coming under the Security Zone will be relocated keeping intact the religious customs, traditions and heritage. The Mutts will be provided assistance by the State Government under the ‘Abhada’ Yojana.
7) Rehabilitation - The shops and dwelling houses coming under the Security Zone will also be relocated. Hence, a rehabilitation package will also be implemented by which the affected will be rehabilitated accordingly.
8) Renovation of Sacred Tanks - Sacred tanks like Shwetaganga, Markanda, Narendra and Indradwymna will be renovated and the heritage sites will be conserved.
The Chief Minister has directed to complete all the projects within 2 years while the Odisha Bridge and Construction Corporation Limited has been entrusted with the jobs.
Prominent among others, the significant meeting was also attended by Law Minister, Chief Secretary, Development Commissioner, DGP, Law Secretary, SJTA chief administrator, Puri Collector, Central DIG and Puri SP.