22 November 2019
Bhubaneswar: To offset the effects of climate change leading to a possible rise in sea level and heatwave conditions the State government has prepared Odisha Climate Change Action Plan (2018-23), informed Revenue and Disaster Management Minister Sudam Marndi.
Responding to a question on Climate Central's report warning of inundation in Odisha's coastal districts due to rise in sea level and heatwave conditions, the Minister has listed the measures to be taken under the Action Plan.
1. Green energy-efficient models for Farmers
2. Crop Diversification (development of climate change resilient crops).
3. Undertake a micro-level vulnerability assessment of state resources in coastal areas (construction of saline embankments under the National Cyclone Risk Management Project, NCRMP).
4.Construct multipurpose flood and cyclone shelters (MCS) and provide shelter-level equipment.
5. Develop a techno-legal regime for the construction of disaster-resilient public infrastructure (construction of approach roads to MCS buildings under the NCRMP) and include Odisha Disaster Recovery Project (ODRP) project for housing, etc.
6. Set up an integrated capacity-building protocol covering shelter and a self-help group under the Community-Based Disaster Risk Reduction Framework (CBDRF), including college and school volunteers and officials at the state and district levels.
7. Scientific Animal Health Management.
8. Study on climate change and catch of marine fish.
9. Increase the forest cover of the state by undertaking afforestation and reforestation measures
10. Enhance the density of forests by undertaking assisted natural regeneration (ANR) and protecting existing forest stocks to act as a carbon sink with stronger conservation.
11. Increase planting on non-forest land.
12. Cover bald hills with suitable species mix.
13. Increase and protect existing mangrove cover and coastal biodiversity along the coast.
14. Conserve wildlife and its habitat, assessing the threats to biodiversity and wildlife.
15. Build the capacity of health sector personnel on issues relating to climate change.
16. Integrate climate change concerns into the state health policy.
17. Devise a mechanism for green belt development and maintenance for industrial clusters.
18. Prepare regional environmental management plans for major industrial clusters.
19. Prepare a GHG profile of major industrial clusters and introduce a system of GHG auditing for these sectors
20. Undertake a heat island study of the Angul-Talcher and Jharsuguda- Ib valley areas.
21. Prepare regional sustainable mining plans.
22. Devise a mechanism for green belt development and maintenance in mining clusters.
23. Construct rest shelters with plantations in mining areas to provide shelter during heatwave conditions.
24. Use liquefied petroleum gas (LPG)
25. Use electric rickshaws (e rickshaws)
26. Incorporate policy framework to encourage non-polluting or "green" economic activities in the city's Master Plan.
27. Restoration of urban water bodies.