Bhubaneswar: In a bid to provide universal free eye care to all the people of Odisha, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today launched ‘Sunetra’ scheme of his government during the flagship ‘Ama Gaon Ama Bikash’ programme at the State Secretariat here.
Through this programme, the State Government aims at achieving the target of universal eye health care by 2023.
Briefing media, Odisha Health Secretary Pramod Meherda said, “All the people of the State are included in this scheme. Irrespective of age, all will reap the benefits from it.”
Highlights of ‘Sunetra’ benefits are:
- Every year, the State Government will conduct eye check-ups at every school of Odisha and if required, the operation will be done free of cost. Even, critical eye surgery will also be done at the appropriate hospital free of cost. Besides, free power glasses will be distributed to the students having vision problem.
- Similarly, the general public of Odisha will also be provided eye care and its treatment free of cost. Like the students, elderly persons will also undergo yearly eye check up and necessary treatment as well as power glasses will be distributed free of cost. Even cataract operation of the senior citizens will be done by the State Government.
- The eye care and necessary treatment will be available at all government-run Community Health Centres (CHCs), Sub-Divisional Hospitals (SDHs), District Headquarter Hospitals (DHHs) and medical colleges.
- No document is required to reap these benefits.
- For registration, necessary arrangement has been made at CHCs, SDHs, DHHs and medical colleges. During the eye check-up, the patient’s details will be registered with the concerned government health centres for future references. It would also help in providing the patient’s eye care history for future treatment.
“We have already started implementing the scheme. Rs 680 crore had been budgeted for a tenure of five years while for the first year Rs 50 crore has been sanctioned,” he concluded.
Also Read: Odisha A Pioneering State In Agrarian Reforms, ‘KALIA’ To Pave Path For Progress Of Indian Farmers: CM Naveen Patnaik