10 December 2019
Baripada: A Class VIII student died due to burn injuries he suffered when he set himself on fire after his parents forced him to go to school.
The shocking incident occurred on Tuesday at Pasuda village under Khunta Police limits of Mayurbhanj district.
As per reports, Kalidas Marandi (13) was a Class VIII student at Pasuda School. Today his parents chided him for preferring to loiter around instead of going to school. His family claims that after this interaction Kalidas immediately locked himself up in their house. He then reportedly doused himself with kerosene and put himself on fire. Kalidas’ mother called for help and the minor was rescued.
He was noted to be in an extremely critical condition with about 90 per cent burns. He was first rushed to Badasahi hospital and then to PRM Hospital as his condition worsened. Marandi succumbed to his injuries later.
Purna Chandra, brother of deceased, confirmed that Kalidas was disinterested in going to school and was chided. His family did not expect that the minor would take such a drastic step.