03 August 2019
Bhubaneswar: Dealing with crimes in sprawling cities of Bhubaneswar and Cuttack where population crosses 2 million is not an easy task. However, Commissionerate Police has taken up the job with its full might to ensure that the citizens sleep peacefully every night in Twin City. From nabbing a serial killer to busting a looters’ gang, here are five solid steps taken by the men in uniform that yield results in every case.
1) Special Squad: When four armed robberies created panic in Bhubaneswar on July 30, Police Commissioner Satyajit Mohanty formed a special squad immediately to delve into all details of the case and trace the anti-social elements. These squads help in identification of criminals and accordingly a plan of action is chalked out.
2) Night Patrolling: Patrolling and picketing is intensified during the dead hours of nights and police-checking at sensitive locations is amplified. Special focus is laid on arterial roads, city boundaries, entry and exit points and crossings. Senior officers are designated to man their jurisdictions. Finger-print detectors and breath-analysers are used to identify anti-socials and drunken motorists.
3) Encounters: While Commissionerate Police tries its best to maintain peace, the men in uniform are bound to open fire as right to private defence. Many a times, criminals shoot at cops in an attempt to flee and escape custody. This is when the cops switch over to ‘Dabangg’ mode and fire at the anti-social elements, thus inuring and nabbing them.
4) Tadipar: Commissionerate Police has invoked Section 45 of Odisha Urban Police Act-2003 (OUPA) wherein the Commissioner can order habitual offenders to remove themselves beyond the limits of the city for a specified time. This will ensure in securing law and order in the city.
5) Engagement with youth: The police body understands that help of youths in the community can help in gathering of key information. Commissioner of Police Satyajit Mohanty has thus convened meetings wherein youth organizations can share information and identify drug peddlars and anti-social elements in their areas.