Bhubaneswar: Under the chairmanship of Works Secretary Dr Krishan Kumar the State Government chalked out its plan to make the Capital city and its nearby areas free from water logging and also carry out the evacuation, rescue and other preparedness measures at the BMC Conference Hall this afternoon in the wake of severe cyclonic storm FANI.
BDA Vice-Chairman Balwant Singh and senior officials of the city agencies and various line departments attended the meeting.
The major points discussed in the meeting include:
- Evacuation: Preparedness plan including Evacuation, rescue and execution plan -Under this there will be two cyclone shelters in a ward where the evacuated people would be given temporary shelter. In the cyclone shelters there would be adequate supply of medicine and food besides cooked/dry food as per availability.
- Clearance of road block and drainage: The city’s urban pockets have been divided into 13 sectors in which an OAS officer will be sector officer with an engineer (Civil) and another from drainage. The sectoral officer will have the powers to take a call on emergency situations arising out of `FANI’ and recommend appropriate actions as per the requirement at Ground zero. The affected roads would be cleared with sufficient deployment of people/workers under the supervision of a nodal officer. There will also be a drainage engineer who, in consultation with the team will decide on the positioning of the pumps and low-lying areas. The sectors are Infocity, Xavier, Vani Vihar, Kuakhai, Khandagiri, ISKCON area, OUAT, Airport, Smart District Area, Sachivalaya Marg, Cuttack Road, Kalpana and Lingaral area.
- Electricity & Communication: Backup power supply to be done by ensuring drinking water and other emergency operations in hospitals and other emergency organisations through ensuring oild supply to generators. Telecommunication networks will also be restored with this emergency power backup so that the people will not be out of network coverage.
- Multi-Agency Control Room at BMC: A multi-agency control room comprising city agencies like BMC, BDA, Smart City, Fire Service, PWD, PHEO, Energy, Health and Family Welfare and others will start functioning in BMC from this evening so that during FANI or its aftermath the services will be delivered/ensured through the officials of these departments, who would ensure the response by alerting their departmental colleagues.
- Toll-free number and landline: The civic body has introduced two numbers i.e. 0674-2431253 and 18003450061 so that when in distress residents can make call and report and register their complaints for redressal.