03 September 2018
Keonjhar: What was once the Army Headquarters of the princely state of Kendujhar Gadh during the British Rule, the over 105 year old building housing the SP office in Keonjhar was restored to its previous glory, kudos to the efforts of the district police.
After four months of strenuous work, in consultation with the members of the Royal family, the building is believed to have evolved as one of the best looking heritage District Police Office of India.
There is a marble statue of the then king Maharaja Dhanurjay Narayan Bhanjdeo, installed in 1916, by the then state superintendent DA McMillan, in the campus of the district police headquarters.
New features have also been added to the building to meet the new expectations of the current time. It has been made disabled-friendly along with a ramp. It also has a visitors’ room with facilities like comfortable seating arrangement, air coolers, clean RO water and free supply of paper and pen to write petition.
Besides, it has been made 'breastfeeding friendly' by installing a small kiosk for nursing mothers with comfortable seat for visiting lactating mothers and a small cradle.
Other infrastructural changes include installation of neon lights sign on the existing tower in the campus. A vast green lawn has been developed in front of the building where multiple bottle palm trees have been planted. The parking shed having huge space has also been developed.
An old canon which was rusting in the reserve police line has been restored and with an added carriage has been installed in the campus. Going by its antique look and the engraving 'MallikaMallik Beg' it looks like a Mughal era canon.
One canteen on the premises of the district police headquarters which was inoperative since long has also been made fully functional.