18 May 2019
Bhubaneswar: As Mercury has already soared above 40 degrees Celsius across Odisha and people are feeling the pinch of the heat, Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA) has issued some important dos and donts for the people in view of the rising temperature.
Must for all
• Listen to Radio; watch TV; read Newspaper for local weather news.
• Drink sufficient water - even if not thirsty.
• Use ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution), homemade drinks like lassi, torani (rice water)
• Lemon water, buttermilk, etc. to keep yourself hydrated.
• Wear lightweight, light-coloured, loose, cotton clothes.
• Cover your head: use a cloth, hat or umbrella.
For Employers and workers
• Provide cool drinking water near work place.
• Caution workers to avoid direct sunlight.
• Schedule strenuous jobs to cooler times of the day.
• Increasing the frequency and length of rest breaks for outdoor activities.
• 'Pregnant workers' and 'workers with a medical condition' should be given additional attention.
• Stay indoors as much as possible.
• Keep your home cool, use curtains, shutters or sunshade and open windows at night.
• Try to remain on lower floors.
• Use fans, damp clothing and take bath in cold water frequently.
• If you feel faint or ill, see a doctor immediately.
• Keep animals in shade and give them plenty of water to drink.
• Avoid going out in the sun, especially between 12.00 noon and 3.00 p.m.
• Avoid strenuous activities when outside in the afternoon.
• Do not go out barefoot.
• Avoid cooking during peak hours. Open doors and windows to ventilate cooking area adequately.
• Avoid alcohol, tea, coffee and carbonated soft drinks, which dehydrates the body.
• Avoid high-protein food and do not eat stale food.
• Do not leave children or pets in parked vehicles - as they may get affected by Heat.