29 July 2019
Bhubaneswar: Amid the spurt in snatching cases and the women of this capital city being the victims, there have been 764 such cases while 558 culprits have been nabbed by Twin City Commissionerate Police in the last five years.
Replying to a query made by Congress MLA Tara Prasad Bahinipati in the Assembly, Minister of State for Home Dibya Shankar Mishra apprised the members of the House putting forth the statistics of Bhubaneswar city since 2014 to 2019 till date.
As per the data presented in Assembly by the Minister:
2014 – 98 snatching cases registered – 100 arrested
2015 – 155 snatching cases registered – 100 arrested
2016 – 129 snatching cases registered – 130 arrested
2017 – 151 snatching cases registered – 105 arrested
2018 – 146 snatching cases registered – 68 arrested
2019 Till Date – 85 snatching cases registered – 55 arrested
The Minister also informed the members of the House about the measures to put a tab on such cases.
1) ‘Mo Sathi’ android-based mobile application (App) has been implemented for the safety of women.
2) ‘Pink Auto’ service has been in operation for safe and secured mobility of women passengers.
3) Night patrolling by police as well as PCR vans has been strengthened for the safety of women’s mobility during night.
4) Suspected vehicles plying during night are being checked at regular interval.
5) Faithful spies have been pressed into service to inform about the assembly of suspicious elements at blacklisted spots and also about the movement of strangers during night.
6) CCTVs have been installed at the important spots of Bhubaneswar to keep a hawk eye on the movements of ant-social elements and criminals.
Dial 100 telephone service during emergency has been in force for the safety and security of general public as well as the women.