09 November 2019
Bhubaneswar: The landmark Ayodhya verdict is out and the Supreme Court bench read out the judgment.
Here is the landmark judgment in a few salient points:
1. The demolition of Babri Masjid was a violation of the law.
2. The Shia claim to the land of Babri Masjid has been dismissed unanimously by the Supreme Court bench challenging 1945 order. The bench said that it is inappropriate for the SC to enter into the read of the theology.
However, they agreed that the Babri Masjid was built by Babur’s General.
3. Muslims to get alternate 5-acres of land: SC
4. Hindus to get disputed land subject to condition.
5. Central Govt to form a scheme, trust to be formed in three months. Inner courtyard to be handed over to the trust: SC
6. A 5-acre land to be given to the Sunni board in a span of three months
7. The SC also rejected the Nirmohi Akhara claim that the Babri land is a Shebait.
8. The Archaeology Survey of India (ASI) reports cannot be rejected. The SC bench said that the underlying structure of Babri Masjid was non-Islamic, but it is not confirmed whether it was a temple.
9. The SC opined that Ram Lalla cannot be considered as a juristic entity and it’s not a janmastaan.
10. Travelogues and gazetteers suggest that Lord Ram was born there.
11. The SC said that faith is a matter of individual believers. The titles cannot be established only on the basis of beliefs.
12. Sunni Waqf board’s suit is maintainable. The Muslims cannot assert a right of adverse possession, said SC.
13. Muslims never lost possession of disputed land. No cessation of namaz by Muslims. Hindus not excluded from praying there before 1857.
14. Muslims have not been able to establish a possessory title: SC
15. The Hindus continued to pray in the outer courtyard. They have exclusive contention of the outer courtyard
16. The inner courtyard is in contention: SC
17. All forms of belief equal to the Constitution of India.
The five-judge constitution bench headed by the Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi heard the case for 40 days. The other members of the bench are Justices SA Bobde, DY Chandrachud, Ashok Bhushan and S Abdul Nazeer.
OMMCOM NEWS has taken the reaction of senior Supreme Court Advocate Sibo Mishra who was present at the court during the verdict hearing. Listen in to his phono attached.